The Nick Kyrgios vs Daniil Medvedev fixture in the Round 2 of the 2022 Australian Open will take place on Thursday, 20 January 2022, starting at 08:00 a.m. GMT. The venue is Melbourne Park, Melbourne.
Latest odds on betting sites
Nick Kyrgios is priced with the odds of 6.00 (+500 American; 5/1 Fractional) to qualify for the Round 3, which equals an approximate probability of 15%. Daniil Medvedev comes with the odds of 1.15 (-667; 3/20) to win. The chances of his triumph approximately equal 85%.
The latest odds for Nick Kyrgios vs Daniil Medvedev (January 20):
- Over 36.5 games — 1.90 (-111; 9/10)
- Under 36.5 games — 1.90 (-111; 9/10)
- Asian handicap (-2.5) sets on Medvedev — 2.00 (+100; 1/1)
- Asian handicap (+2.5) sets on Kyrgios — 1.80 (-135; 4/5)
- Asian handicap (-5.5) games on Medvedev — 1.75 (-133; 3/4)
- Asian handicap (+5.5) games on Kyrgios — 2.10 (+110; 11/10)
Match preview and stats
Nick Kyrgios eliminated Liam Broady (6-4, 6-4, 6-3) to qualify for the Round 2.
Nick Kyrgios won the first return game to start the first set with a 2-0 score. Then both tennis players performed confidently in their service games and did not give each other a breakpoint opportunity, however Kyrgios managed to finish the set with a 6-4 score. Nick made one double fault whereas his rival did not make any.
The second set was quite equal as well and ended with the same score. The last set started from a 1-1 score but then Nick won a return game. Kyrgios and Broady were equal to a 3-5 score when the Australian converted the first breakpoint in the last return game to win the match. He won 75% of serves and 41% of return serves while converting all breakpoints.
Nick Kyrgios played a bit better in the last H2H match against Daniil Medvedev. He did not make a double fault in two sets and won all service games. He finished all tie-breaks in his favor with 8-6 and 7-4 scores.
We have seen lopsided scores in six of the last seven matches with Nick Kyrgios participating. The same outcome is priced with the odds of 1.95 (-105; 19/20) in this match.
Daniil Medvedev kicked Henri Laaksonen (6-1, 6-4, 7-6) out of the 2022 Australian Open in the previous match.
Henri easily won the first return game in the first set, but then Daniil Medvedev took all six remaining games in a row to finish the set with a 6-1 score in his favor. He made two double faults but converted and saved 60% and 80% of breakpoints, respectively.
At the start of the second set, both players looked equal to a 2-2 score. Then the Russian easily won the third return game and did not give his rival a breakpoint opportunity in remaining games to win the set with a 6-4 score. He won 80% of serves and 42% of return serves.
Both tennis players performed equally in the last set. They did not give each other breakpoints opportunities in all 12 sets, but Medvedev played stronger in tie-breaks and finished them with a 7-3 score in his favor. He won 77% of serves and 36% of return serves. Besides, Daniil did not make a double fault in the set.
Medvedev performed well in the last H2H match against Kyrgios in spite of the loss. He won all 12 service games. Besides, Daniil won 80% of serves and 22% of return serves. He did not give his rival a breakpoint opportunity but made two double faults in two sets.
We have seen a total under 9.5 games in first sets in four of the last five best-of-five matches with Daniil Medvedev participating. The same outcome is priced with the odds of 2.20 (+120; 6/5) this time.
Betting tips and prediction
Nick Kyrgios won all H2H matches against Daniil Medvedev, but the Australian is not in his best form right now. He has lost five of the last six matches, whereas Medvedev has won nine of the last 10 fixtures. Besides, Nick did not play against Daniil in best-of-five matches, whereas the Russian tennis player has a streak of eight victories in bo5 games.
Medvedev could win this fixture, but he is a comfortable opponent for Kyrgios. That is the reason why we may see a total over 3.5 sets and a total over 36.5 games.
Betting prediction: Daniil Medvedev to win & over 3.5 sets
Odds: 2.20 (+120 American; 6/5 Fractional)
Betting prediction: Over 36.5 games
Odds: 1.90 (-111 American; 9/10 Fractional)