The Calgary Flames vs Colorado Avalanche fixture in the 2022-23 NHL will take place on Wednesday, January 18, 2023, starting at 11:30 p.m. ET. The kickoff time is 2:30 a.m. by GMT the next day. The venue is PPG Paint Arena, Pittsburgh.
Latest odds on betting sites
The Calgary Flames are priced with the odds of 2.40 (+140 American; 7/5 Fractional) to win the next match full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 60%. The Colorado Avalanche have an odds of 2.60 (+160; 8/5) to take two points before overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 22%. Finally, the draw comes with the odds of 4.50 (+350; 7/2), which equals an approximate probability of 18%.
The latest odds for Calgary Flames vs Colorado Avalanche (January 18, 2023):
- Over 6.5 goals — 2.20 (+120; 6/5)
- Under 6.5 goals — 1.75 (-133; 3/4)
- Asian handicap (-1.5) on Avalanche — 3.00 (+200; 2/1)
- Asian handicap (+1.5) on Flames — 1.30 (-333; 3/10)
Match preview and statistics
The Calgary Flames have won three of the last five matches and both lost fixtures were finished in overtime. Overall, they are the fourth in the Pacific Division with 51 points in 44 matches.
Brett Ritchie will not participate in this fixture due to a wrist injury. He is not a starting-roster player, but Ritchie is an essential part of the Flames’ rotation. He received eight points in 30 matches of the 2022-23 season having a +2 impact index.
The Calgary Flames had a close most recent match against the Dallas Stars (6-5). They received an incredible advantage in the second period reaching a 6-1 score in the 38th minute. The Stars tried to level the score but were able to rip only four ginos before the end of the match. Nazem Kadri finished it as the first star with a goal and an assist.
We have seen a total of under 6.5 goals in 10 of the last 11 matches with the Calgary Flames participating. The exact total comes with the odds of 1.75 (-133; 3/4) in this fixture.
The Colorado Avalanche are the fourth in the Central Division being overtaken by the Jets, the Stars, and the Wild, which is a disappointing result for the current champions. It is mostly provided by numerous injured players at the start of the season. Also, Valeri Nichushkin, who was one of the best scorers for the Avalanche in the 2022-23 season has not recovered yet.
Also, the Avalanche have lost seven of the last nine matches being defeated by the Blackhawks, the Coyotes, the Canucks, and others. However, they absolutely destroyed the Ottawa Senators (7-0) in the most recent fixture.
Pavel Francouz received his first shutout in the 2022-23 season saving all 29 shots against him. Mikko Rantanen, Artturi Lehkonen, and Alex Newhook showed masterpiece play in attack bagging two goals each.
The Colorado Avalanche have scored 15 goals in the last four matches. They come with the odds of 2.60 (+160; 8/5) to score four goals against the Flames.
Calgary Flames vs Colorado Avalanche H2H
The Calgary Flames defeated the Colorado Avalanche (5-3) in their single H2H match in the 2022-23 NHL. Dillon Dude and Rasmus Andersson were the second and the third stars, respectively with one goal and one assist each. Nathan MacKinnon was the best attacker in the Avalanche. He scored a goal and made an assist in this match.
Lineups and key players
Colorado Avalanche projected starting lineup:
- Alexandar Georgiev
- Cale Makar
- Devon Toews
- Artturi Lehkonen
- Nathan MacKinnon
- Mikko Rantanen
Mikko Rantanen is the sixth-best goalscorer and the ninth-best forward of the 2022-23 NHL with 29 goals and 24 assists.
Calgary Flames projected starting lineup:
- Jacob Markstrom
- Rasmus Andersson
- Nikita Zadorov
- Tyler Toffoli
- Nazem Kadri
- Elias Lindholm
Nazem Kadri did not score against the Avalanche in the most recent fixture. However, he is the best goalscorer for the Flames with 17 goals this season.
Prediction and betting tips
The Colorado Avalanche are not in their best condition now. Despite recovering most of the main players, they keep losing matches against much weaker rivals like the Blackhawks or the Canucks. Also, the Colorado Avalanche were defeated by the Flames in the last H2H match. The game was close, but the current champions did not finish most of their moments successfully, which made them lose.
The Calgary Flames had a close game against the Dallas Stars (6-5), and have won five of the last eight matches. They are not one of the strongest teams in the league, but I believe that they will be able to beat the Avalanche in the current condition.
Betting prediction: Calgary Flames to win (incl. overtime)
Odds: 2.10 (+110 American; 11/10 Fractions)
Share your thoughts!