Washington Capitals vs Tampa Bay Lightning prediction and betting tips (November 11)
The Capitals have lost five of the last six matches, whereas Tampa have won three of the last four H2H fixtures. Who will be stronger this time?
Alexander Ovechkin is the best scorer for his team with eight goals and five assists
Alexander Ovechkin is the best scorer for his team with eight goals and five assists
by Alex Weaver Alex Weaver

The Washington Capitals vs Tampa Bay Lightning fixture in the 2022-23 NHL will take place on Friday, 11 October 2022, starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. The kickoff time is 11:00 p.m. by GMT this day. The venue is Capital One Arena, Washington.

Latest odds on betting sites

The Washington Capitals are priced with the odds of 3.00 (+200 American; 2/1 Fractional) to win the next match in full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 33%. The Tampa Bay Lightning come with the odds of 2.10 (+110; 21/10) to take two points before the overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 47%. The draw is priced with the odds of 4.80 (+380; 19/5), which equals an approximate probability of 20%.

The latest odds for Washington Capitals vs Tampa Bay Lightning (11 November 2022):

  • Over 6.5 goals — 2.05 (+105; 21/20)
  • Under 6.5 goals — 1.90 (-111; 9/10)
  • Asian handicap (-1.5) on Lightning — 2.50 (+150; 3/2)
  • Asian handicap (+1.5) on Capitals — 1.60 (-167; 3/5)

Match preview and statistics

The Washington Capitals were beaten by the Pittsburgh Penguins (1-4) in the most recent match.

In the first period, the Penguins were a bit stronger. They made 10 shots on target and won 13 out of 19 face-offs, but were not lucky to convert a single power play opportunity. The Washington Capitals made only seven attempts to score in this match.

Peter Laviolette’s men played well in the second half, but they did not finish any out of their 11 shots successfully. The Capitals won 71% out of 17 face-offs. Jason Zucker, Brock McGinn and Jeff Petry scored their goals for the Penguins.

In the third period, the Washington Capitals played passively. They completed 16 defensive actions and made only seven shots. The Penguins made eight attempts to score and each team scored their goals. Marcus Johansson bagged a goal for the Capitals, whereas Jake Guentzel scored the last goal to the empty net.

Casey DeSmith was the first star with a 96% saves/shots ratio. Marcus Johansson’s goal made him the third star of the match.

A total of under 1.5 goals has been scored in the first period in seven of the last eight matches with the Capitals participating. The same outcome is priced with the odds of 2.15 (+115; 23/20) this time.

The Tampa Bay Lightning had a close match against the Edmonton Oilers (2-3).

Tampa showed a flawless attack in the first period. They made 16 shots and won 60% out of 20 face-offs. However, their defence was not as strong as their attack. Warren Foegele opened the score in favor of the Oilers being shorthanded, but Brandon Hagel leveled the score in two minutes.

In the second period, the Lightning made six shots and were not lucky to finish them successfully. The Oilers received two power play opportunities in the first four minutes and converted each. Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl bagged their goals in the 23rd and 25th minutes, respectively.

Tampa made 15 shots in the last period and let their rivals make only 10 attempts to score. In the 41st minute, Alex Killorn scored the second goal for Tampa. Pat Maroon was able to level the score in the 52nd minute, but his goal was cancelled.

Connor McDavid was the first star of the match with one goal and one assist. Brayden Point helped to score both goals for his team to finish the match as the second star.

A total of under 5.5 goals has played out in four of the last five matches. The same total comes with the odds of 2.45 (+145; 29/20) in this fixture.

Washington Capitals vs Tampa Bay Lightning H2H

The Tampa Bay Lightning have won two out of three H2H matches against the Capitals in the 2021-22 season. However, all these games were finished with only a one-goal difference.

Lineups and key players

Washington Capitals projected starting lineup:

  • Darcy Kuemper
  • Alexander Alexeyev
  • Nick Jensen
  • Anthony Mantha
  • Evgeny Kuznetsov
  • Alexander Ovechkin

Alexander Ovechkin is the best scorer for his team with eight goals and five assists. Ovechkin scored a goal and made an assist in the last H2H match against Tampa.

Tampa Bay Lightning projected starting lineup:

  • Andrei Vasilevskiy
  • Mikhail Sergachev
  • Haydn Fleury
  • Brayden Point
  • Nikita Kucherov
  • Steven Stamkos

Nikita Kucherov is the third best scorer in the 2022-23 season with 21 points. He helped Brandon Hagel to score the first goal in the last match against the Oilers.

Prediction and betting tips

The Capitals are not in good form now. They have lost five of the last six matches and won a single game by only one goal. In the last H2H match against the Lightning, both teams were approximately equal, but the Capitals were lucky to score one more goal than their rivals.

Tampa has won six of the last nine matches with one loss in overtime. In the most recent lost match against the Edmonton Oilers, the Lightning were much stronger, but Andrei Vasilevskiy was in bad form and finished the match with 26 saves and three conceded goals.

I believe that Tampa will beat the Capitals this time, but we may see a draw in 60 minutes because two of the last four H2H matches were finished in overtime. A total of under 6.5 goals looks safer. We have seen a total of under 5.5 goals in four of the last five matches and in seven of the last eight matches with the Capitals participating.

Betting prediction: Under 6.5 goals

Odds: 1.90 (-111 American; 9/10 Fractions)

Ice HockeyNHL. Round 15
Washington Capitals — Tampa Bay Lightning
Won
Under 6.5 goals
1.90
Post your tip!
Win cash in the Takebet free tipster competition every month. Learn more
TOP PREDICTIONS
TOP PREDICTIONS
0 comments
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!